Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Cousins, cousins and more cousins!



It has been amazing! I’ve uncovered new cousins, found cousins I knew about but never knew personally and even had the pleasure of meeting some cousins. What wonderful discoveries!

I sure wish I had found these cousins some 20 years ago. How different our lives may have been if we had connected back then. Maybe more of us would have been able to meet in person, had family get-togethers and joining the Labers and Steuers again after the 1942 Passover Family Circle.

I’ve been able to uncover things I have in common with my cousins from only one filling, to painting, folk dancing (at one time in my life), appreciation of old family photos and sharing recipes. I just finished pickling some veggies two different ways. One was the old fashioned way as it was done in the 19th century Tarnow (sweet & sour) and the other a very traditional Ukrainian recipe (sour).

Rumors and legends are coming out…this just means more things to prove or dis-prove. Let’s see if now some truths can emerge from these rumors and legends. One legend I just disproved by looking at my records – Bertha Steuer and Abraham Unger married on 21 Mar 1916. Folklore is that Bertha passed from a heart condition (which is a known fact) the morning of their 50th anniversary and there was supposedly a big party. I don’t know the actual date of their anniversary party, but their 50th anniversary would have been the 21st of March 1966. According to the burial card for Bertha, she died 5 days after their anniversary.


I hope to hear more stories about family members. It’s nice getting to know them better, even though they are no longer with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment